Patients rate their care lower the more the doctor looks at a computer screen using an EHR system, according to a new study in JAMA Internal Medicine. And a third of a doctor’s visit time is using electronic health records!
Here’s the new POISED guidelines* to help improve patient communications while using EHRs:
- Prepare: Review the electronic medical record before seeing the patient.
- Orient: Briefly explain how the computer will be used during the appointment.
- Information gathering: Enter data when with patients to show their concerns are being taken seriously.
- Share: Show the computer screen so patients can see the information.
- Educate: Display a graphic representation of, say, the patient’s weight or blood pressure over time.
- Debrief: Make sure the patient understands what you said.
Source: Richard Frankel, Regenstrief Institute and Indiana University School of Medicine.